I know, home maintenance, not your favorite topic. But, without it, it becomes house maintenance or worse, the banks issue. Actually, home maintenance shouldn’t be a chore, rather a way to mindlessly block out the normal day to day. Don’t look at it as a challenge but a goal. Most homes here in sunny southwest Florida are a one story ranch style with not more than 10′ to the gutter. Others may need more ladder and nerve , otherwise, maintenance covered here is the same.
If you had the mindset to have a home inspection and your report is still available, use it. The inspection has every aspect covered and, if you go section to section you can spot trouble areas before they get worse or perform the basic maintenance needed at that time. A visual inspection can save you time and money in the long run. Neglect costs money, isn’t your time valuable?
A typical 30 minute walk around the house inspection can make you aware of potential failures just by sight. Many are cosmetic, some only by sound and still others that just fail. You can usually spot the warning signs of failure before deficiencies make the checklist.
- Look at your roof and roof components such as vent pipes and ridge vents
- Check your trim boards and soffits, look for loose damaged sections
- Exterior walls, chalky paint, damaged siding, cracked stucco, dirty surfaces
- Windows, doors and trim. Any damaged glass, rusty doors, missing caulking?
- Gutters and downspouts, clean and seal. Extend diverters where needed
- Landscaping, cut and remove if close to structure. Trees 20′ and bushes 2′ away from structure which will help keep moisture away from home.
- Grading. If water is pooling against structure, regarding and more drainage is needed
- Driveways/walkways/patio surfaces. Clean all surfaces, seal cracks or reset pavers
- Screen cages or enclosures. Check anchor bolts and screening, replace as needed
- Plumbing, HVAC, Electrical components, if visual looks like it needs attention, consult a licensed professional for advise on repair or replacements.
- Pools, seawalls, docks and decks all require annual maintenance. Check each component and repair/replace as needed
- Pests such as ants, termites, rodents and bees can all be spotted and deterred if caught in the early stages.
Keeping the exterior will help ensure the interior will stay dry and comfortable for many years. As always, many components of your home will require proper permits and/or a Licensed contractor to perform some of your annual maintenance. Pay a little today or pay a lot later, your choice.